My secular education has influenced my spiritual knowledge in many ways. My knowledge of science has brought me to an understanding of how vast and beautiful the universe is. I think my initial draw to the studies of astronomy and geology was the beginning of my search for spiritual knowledge and truth.
As I am starting to prepare for the PG license exam, I am relearning many of the intricacies of this world. Right now I'm starting with chemistry and crystallography. Bryan and I were watching a show (Unlocking the Universe on the Science Channel) several weeks ago about Dmitri Mendeleev and the history of the periodic table. It was really quite interesting how he and others of his time struggled with their theories. One theory was based on music and octaves and how atoms acted similar. Apparently he had made prediction as to the properties of missing elements. It wasn't until work started in quantum physics that the remaining elements were discovered and the periodic table took it's current form.
That got me thinking about how relatively recent it has been that we have had this knowledge. Similarly, many of my professors were in the thick of debate over plate tectonics in there college years. How many other areas have these two things opened up for us in the past 100 years?
Many people believe that science and religion can't co-exist. Even I have questions I ponder that there are no specific answers for on either side. I am a firm believer that in the end, both scientific truth and gospel truth will, and must, become one. I also believe that these truths will all be reveled in their proper time. There comes a point where the more you learn about the universe, the more you realize how much you don't know. It opens up more questions and is truly humbling to know how infinite the universe really is. But knowing that we have a Heavenly Father who knows and loves us individually is even more amazing.
In the end, all we can do is keep asking questions, pondering, and learning. For everything else, there is faith.
As I am starting to prepare for the PG license exam, I am relearning many of the intricacies of this world. Right now I'm starting with chemistry and crystallography. Bryan and I were watching a show (Unlocking the Universe on the Science Channel) several weeks ago about Dmitri Mendeleev and the history of the periodic table. It was really quite interesting how he and others of his time struggled with their theories. One theory was based on music and octaves and how atoms acted similar. Apparently he had made prediction as to the properties of missing elements. It wasn't until work started in quantum physics that the remaining elements were discovered and the periodic table took it's current form.
That got me thinking about how relatively recent it has been that we have had this knowledge. Similarly, many of my professors were in the thick of debate over plate tectonics in there college years. How many other areas have these two things opened up for us in the past 100 years?
Many people believe that science and religion can't co-exist. Even I have questions I ponder that there are no specific answers for on either side. I am a firm believer that in the end, both scientific truth and gospel truth will, and must, become one. I also believe that these truths will all be reveled in their proper time. There comes a point where the more you learn about the universe, the more you realize how much you don't know. It opens up more questions and is truly humbling to know how infinite the universe really is. But knowing that we have a Heavenly Father who knows and loves us individually is even more amazing.
In the end, all we can do is keep asking questions, pondering, and learning. For everything else, there is faith.
No comments:
Post a Comment