Music has played a very important part in my life. I have always been fascinated how certain sound frequencies can be pleasant to the ear, and certain combinations of said sounds can stir our souls, affecting us emotionally and spiritually.
I just recently had to get an MRI which I never really knew much about. Besides the awkward and claustrophobic experience it was, the concept is intriguing. That we are made up of molecules at can be "read" with radio waves in a magnetic field.
An engineering professor of mine once made a comment as we were studying wave frequencies on structures. He said that just like the structures we were studying, we all have our own natural frequencies. Music affects people just like the wind and earthquakes can affect buildings, and we all have a tendency to like some types of rhythms and sounds over others.
Some of my favorite music is Christmas music. That was always my favorite time in band. The spirit of Christmas and what it means to celebrate the birth and life of Christ has inspired some of the best music. I remember on one of the episodes of Music and the Spoken Word, they narrated the story of the song "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day." It was very moving and I really like that song more than ever now.
I think one of my favorite Christmas songs, though, is "O Holy Night." Originally, a french poem, it was set to music by another frenchman, and has since been translated with variations. Apparently, it was one of the first songs to be broadcast on the first AM radio station. I think it not only has powerful lyrics, but the music sets the tone (no pun intended) for making this piece one that can inspire us all.
I just recently had to get an MRI which I never really knew much about. Besides the awkward and claustrophobic experience it was, the concept is intriguing. That we are made up of molecules at can be "read" with radio waves in a magnetic field.
An engineering professor of mine once made a comment as we were studying wave frequencies on structures. He said that just like the structures we were studying, we all have our own natural frequencies. Music affects people just like the wind and earthquakes can affect buildings, and we all have a tendency to like some types of rhythms and sounds over others.
Some of my favorite music is Christmas music. That was always my favorite time in band. The spirit of Christmas and what it means to celebrate the birth and life of Christ has inspired some of the best music. I remember on one of the episodes of Music and the Spoken Word, they narrated the story of the song "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day." It was very moving and I really like that song more than ever now.
I think one of my favorite Christmas songs, though, is "O Holy Night." Originally, a french poem, it was set to music by another frenchman, and has since been translated with variations. Apparently, it was one of the first songs to be broadcast on the first AM radio station. I think it not only has powerful lyrics, but the music sets the tone (no pun intended) for making this piece one that can inspire us all.
- Truly He taught us to love one another;
- His law is love and His gospel is peace.
- Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother;
- And in His name all oppression shall cease.
- Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
- Let all within us praise His holy name.
Nice!!! That is my favorite song too! Nice post.
ReplyDelete