Monday, December 5, 2011

Charity (Good Works VE1)

Charity is the pure love of Christ. I don't think it is a coincidence that it is also used as a synonym for service. The Savior taught us to love one another and to serve one another.

King Benjamin teaches that when we are in the service of our fellow man, we are in the service of our God. (Mosiah 2:17)

President Monson last night during the Christmas Devotional spoke of unselfish service as he recalled the story "The Mansion" by Henry Van Dyke.

1 Corinthians 13 is one of the most well known scriptures, and thought it would be an interesting exercise to read it by thinking about service and serving others.
1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment