Thursday, December 1, 2011

Standards for Better Living (C&A VE6)

There are standards that the LDS Church encourages its youth to have. These standards include dressing modestly, remaining sexually pure, choosing uplifting media and avoiding offensive material (including pornography and profanity). Other standards include being responsible for the consequences of our actions, having gratitude, continually learning, building strong family relationships, and having friends with similar values, and being an example to others through service and faith.

These standards are found in the "For the Strength of Youth" Pamphlet. The first presidency says this about the standards in this pamphlet:
"We promise that as you keep these standards and live by the truths in the scriptures, you will be able to do your life’s work with greater wisdom and skill and bear trials with greater courage. You will have the help of the Holy Ghost. You will feel good about yourself and will be a positive influence in the lives of others. You will be worthy to go to the temple to receive holy ordinances. These blessings and many more can be yours."

These standards reflect the standards that are required to remain worthy to become a member of the church as well as to enter the temple and receive the blessings therein. On of these standards is following the Word of Wisdom, found in D&C 89. The Word of Wisdom tells us to avoid alcohol, coffee, tea and all substances that may be addictive, to eat meats sparingly, and to eat plenty of healthy fruits, grains and herbs in their season with a spirit of gratitude.

D&C 18-21 promises us that "all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones; And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures; And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint. And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen."

Even though I am a convert, I never really drank alcohol and coffee, and I believe I am healthier because of it and it has made my transplants much easier. Before my last transplant, I was able to also get in better shape and lost 10 pounds. I have since gained that back, but it helped me to recover faster from the surgery. I also know I can do it again and I am working right now on eating better and getting stronger.

After fighting CMV and Guilliame-Barre Syndrome, it has been difficult to do, but I have slowly been getting my strength back. I am just taking my vitamins, trying to watch what I eat, and exercising a little at a time. I hope in 6 months, I will be a little bit lighter and have less blood pressure meds to have to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment