We are told to not only read the scriptures, but to really study them and take them in. "Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do" (2 Nephi 32:3).
And through "feasting" on the scriptures, we can gain wisdom. Heavenly Father will not just give us all the answers, though. We must ponder it in our hearts and pray about it. He expects us to be able to make a concerted effort make an educated decision and then bring it to him.
"...behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right. But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong;..." (D&C 9:8-9)
My patriarchal blessing tells me to read my scriptures and to include the recent words of the latter-day prophets. It also reminds me to say my prayers, and to do the things I should be doing. I haven't been the best at scripture reading or saying my personal prayers, but Bryan and I always pray together and we are trying to get better everyday.
Being in the hospital, I thought would make it easier to read my scriptures, but it didn't. Now that I'm out and doing better, I'm definitely trying to start making better habits. Ultimately, I know that having good habits and being in the right places can lead to having the Spirit with us. And having the Spirit with us can help us when we do have the big decisions to make in our lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment