Today during Stake Conference broadcast, we heard from M. Russell Ballard. He shared the story of Woodruff Wilson's last vision of Joseph Smith and others in heaven being in a hurry because, being in the last dispensation, there was little time to get everything done.
With the thought that we should all be in a hurry, Elder Ballard talked about the value of a soul and then gave 4 things we need to focus on:
1) Strengthen Home and Family;
2) Strive to Protect and Save our own souls and other church members;
3) Strive to save the souls of those that are not yet members [through gospel-centered homes and looking for ways to serve others]; and
4) Strive to save souls who have departed this life [through genealogy and temple work].
He also pointed out that the atonement makes the blessings of eternal life possible. He shared a metaphor of individual worth being like a seed that grows into an apple tree. Finally, he reminded us that those of us that have received the gospel are expected to share it with others; however, ultimately, we are accountable for our own souls.
Sharing the gospel with others is one of the greatest gifts we could give to another. If we love them, why wouldn't we want to offer them hope, peace, and the promised blessings of eternal life? And why is it so hard to share this amazing gift? As a convert, I try to look back and remember what it was like when I was investigating, how odd this story of a 14 year old boy was, and why I had never heard of such things before.
I remember being skeptical of the Book of Mormon, and reading as much as I could to see what was really on the pages of this book. But after reading and pondering I knew that the words could not lead the soul to do anything but good. I have a testimony that the Book of Mormon is true and Joseph Smith was a prophet.
I hope those that read my blog that aren't members of the church will plant a seed of faith to ask and find out for themselves that this gospel of happiness and individual worth is true. For those that are reading this blog and are members, let's take is opportunity this year to reread the Book of Mormon and strengthen our testimonies, our families, and our individual worthiness.
No comments:
Post a Comment